The school is open to students of all religions, races and nationalities and comprises 627 students, 44 teachers and 10 non-teaching staff members. It is a private school run by Aga Khan Education Service, Kenya (AKES, K), an institution that works to provide quality education to 11 schools in Kenya.
The origins of The Aga Khan High School, Mombasa dates to the opening of the boys’ elementary school in 1918 and the establishment of the girls school in 1919.
The current building, constructed between 1945 and 1951, is situated on Vanga Road, between the Aga Khan Hospital, Jaffery Academy and across from the Government Training Institute. It houses two schools - The Aga Khan Primary School and The Aga Khan High School.
The School offers a broad-based, multi-disciplinary education with emphases on languages, sciences, humanities, technical subjects and student-centered teaching/learning within an interactive learning environment that is designed to stimulate the joy of enquiry.